Monday, February 13, 2012

Self Portrait in Beads & Jewelry

I have a question for you! If you were creating a self-portrait in a piece of jewelry or a polymer clay or lampwork bead, what would that look like?

In a post on the ArtTherapyBlog about self exploration in the form of self portrait, it states..."the self portrait is a simple art therapy idea that can reveal a lot about a person. The basic idea with this type of art therapy is that the person communicates, through art, how he or she sees him or herself."

That is an interesting concept when it comes to bead or jewelry making. I wonder if we are already doing that, but don't realize our work is a self portrait!

When thinking about the last few projects I have created they were all pretty quick, simple and smile-inducing. (Well, in my opinion :)

If I set out to create a self portrait intentionally, I would imagine there would be smiley faces, flowers and crystals. The flowers and smiley faces might be represented by colorful beads or simple shapes, but I would know what they meant inside.

I hope you will give it a few minutes of thought and share your "self portrait" with us in the comments. :) 

By the way, I just discovered this picture of my favorite beads from a blog post in 2009, how funny! The moral of that story is you can run, but you can't really hide from yourself! (Sort of, I am who I am!)  

2 comments:

Emily said...

My self portrait would be a bracelet. It would be made out of prehnite rough-cut faceted nuggets (my favorite color) strung on soft brown leather cord (my love of comfort). There'd be a little buddah charm with a tiny crack in it cause my life is never as calm as I'd like. And a little flower lotus blossom as a connector for my love of nature and beautiful things.

marian ja said...

Just now, I learned that I have the talent for <a href='http://www.learnbeading.com/’>beading</a> because I get to stimulate my creativity. Now I can make various beaded gifts to my friends and family that I can personally make and it gives them happiness. I think everyone should try to hook one bead and let us see how well you perform. I am very thankful to these kinds of websites because it really made me a good bead maker now. It's the perfect Christmas present to my loved ones!