Friday, March 13, 2009

Tonia Davenport: This Week's Featured Designer

What a wonderful time of the week!! Friday night with nothing pressing for two whole days except buying and playing with beads..sounds like a dream!!

I'm very excited to share this week's designs with you by Tonia Davenport, plexiglass jewelry designer, author and editor. Her latest book, PlexiClass, Cutting Edge Projects in Plastic, has some ultra-cool projects that involve using either plexiglass or shrink plastic.

I am extremely proud of the fact that I have an autographed copy of this book and have spent many hours studying it! I have lots of favorites, but think her shrink plastic bracelet called, "save the trees" is amazing. It looks like it is made of wood, but the effect was made using markers prior to baking.

A few of her other cool designs on Etsy are below. You can also see what interesting things Tonia is working on or chatting about on her blog AND, she is teaching a class at Artiscape in Ohio next month which might still have a spot open (check the above site for more info).

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!!

5 comments:

ohdawno said...

Wow - I would never have thought such lovely jewelry would be plastic or plexiglass (which I guess is plastic, too...)

Thank you, again, for sharing! I really look forward to seeing your posts pop up on my RSS reader!

Anonymous said...

Thats plastic? wow thats nice looking i thought it was glass at first sight

Ring by Ring Designs said...

I love seeing what Tonia has done with plexiglass.
My Mother used to make somethings with plexiglass though not jewelry. It was too new then. Sure wish I still had some of her pieces.An earring holder, lily shaped candle stick holders, small boxes. Wow, haven't thought about those in a long time.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I bought this book, looking for an alternative to "traditional" beads and the ability to apply some more "free form" type plans to jewelry...it's great. I never knew that it could be fun and, actually, quite easy, to work with!!!! Also, I had a question and contacted her via email---she answered me back within 24 hours! Great author response....Teri
http://www.sandtcreations.com/wordpress

tkmetalarts said...

Such creative ideas and Tonia makes these plastic pieces look classy.